View Single Post
Old 10-11-2021, 07:30 PM   #6
Pick121

Re: C50 field rescue won’t start (YET!)

Thanks for the help, Got him going! Not sure exactly what it ended up being but thanks for the advice. I checked for power to coil, it was over 12 volts. I tried a new coil, no spark. Realized i had a couple plug wires in the wrong order, whoops! changed, still no spark. I also loosened the distrib bolt and rotated it slowly one way then another while cranking, to see if I ever got a light on the inline spark indicator but - no light, no spark. Here is where I get confused how exactly I fixed the issue because I did a few things:
1. Took distrib cap off, found TDC mark on front pulley, and the rotor was not pointing to my #1 plug wire on the distrib. Hmm. Rotated all the plug wires one spot clockwise.
2. Thought might as well check the points one more time, glad I did they were way too wide, feeler gauge had a lot of wiggle room so, readjusted.
3. Read somewhere else on line to make sure you have a good ground from cab to the block. I couldn’t find a ground strap from block to cab, so I removed the neg batt cable from the block and it was not good - paint and rust - so sanded/wire brushed the bolt, block, washer, nut, and wire connector.

So after doing these things, i move all my tools and it fires right up!! The Green Machine lives & breathes again is in his new home.
PS there are zero brakes, luckily only had to drive 100yds across the street and i went slow enough to use the hand brake (which is on the flywheel not the rear drums!)
Pick121 is offline   Reply With Quote