View Single Post
Old 06-01-2021, 09:19 AM   #31
Davidf

Re: LS Swap: Introduction, newbie, planning...

An update for anyone that cares...

Over the weekend, my son and I got the '01 5.3L LS mounted in the '71 C10. As noted above, I went with the Hooker engine stands, F-body mounts, and Hooker transmission cross member. Let me tell you, the engine is a tight fit even in the seemingly large engine bay. I had to clearance the left frame rail to clear the power steering pump return line. Just past the pump (toward the rear) the frame narrows, so I just made the frame look like it narrows further forward than factory. If you did not know otherwise, you would never know I cut on the frame...nice clean line. I used the '01 Tahoe LS trans cooler lines and they will need a bit of rebending as they hit the front frame cross member. And, they are rubbing on the main cross member (tight fit here). But, I think I can make them work.

Now, as for the Hooker Blackheart engine mounting solution, I like it. But, the engine stands need a bit of quality control work as on one side, the ears on the stand was 1/8" too narrow. That meant grinding 1/8" off the mount bolt tube. The trans mount is a nice piece of hardware. The Hooker solution keeps the engine very low in the engine bay. As such, there is plenty of clearance for the a/c compressor, but necessitated the clearancing for the PS pump. Supposedly driveline angles are maintained. I also kept the truck oil pan and it clears the drag link by about 1/4"...works for me. Wire harness follows factory routing in front of oil pan, I got rid of the plastic factory bracket and camped the wires to the front oil pan bolts...perfect.

Only collateral damage was breaking the retaining tabs off the MAP sensor...dang, should have left it installed. I guess some cleaver zip tying will fix that problem. Probably only needs to be retained in case you get a intake backfire...otherwise, not sure how it would come out anyway.

The Trailblazer SS manifolds clear the frame fine without the need to do any frame clearancing.

Also, got new '87 C10 a/c evaporator mounted in air box (prior to installing engine). And, firewall has a fresh coat of paint...sorry it is all covered, but been raining in Central Texas a lot lately.

Now I get to start on the fun part...all the connections.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Davidf; 06-01-2021 at 09:25 AM.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote