View Single Post
Old 03-29-2024, 03:39 PM   #187
Vic1947

Re: 65 Fairlane pro-touring build

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
That sucks... but wow....that's some thin metal..!!
Yeah, if you hold it up to the light, you can almost see thru it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
Victor I was wondering if I could get some advice from you

You mentioned you were going to use panel bond, I've never used it before and was wondering how much set up time you have before the panel bond goes off

Great work so far, and enjoy your write up
Thanks! 3M makes a couple of versions, 08115 and 08116. I'm guessing there are other adhesive products on the market but those are the only two I've used. Working time differs slightly, although both are ambient temp sensitive. At 70 degrees you have about 1.5-2 hours to reposition panels. If your shop temp is hotter the time goes down. At 100 degrees, you have about an hour at most. The main difference between the two versions is related to manufacturer specifications. For me, that's not an issue so I usually get the 08115. They also have different part numbers depending on the applicator style. An applicator can be pricey, but most paint supply houses will rent you one or let you use it free with a deposit.

You typically only get one mixing tube, but you can buy extras on eBay or elsewhere. I remove a used mixing tube, throw it away and clean the area where it attaches. I then replace the shipping cap when I've only used a partial amount. If you're careful to keep the epoxy and the catalyst from coming in contact with each other, it will last a long time on the shelf. I've been able to use the same dispenser several times until I use all or most of the material.

One other thing about the stuff is that as long as it hasn't set up, you can use a spot welder to add mechanical joints. I don't typically do this but it's nice to know you can if you want.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote