View Single Post
Old 05-27-2022, 11:12 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

Re: 4x4 lift kit brand advice

If you look at an EZ-Ride from the side, they are fairly flat near the center, then arch more toward the ends. This way it takes less force to flex the springs. I have no experience with Skyjacker. If those are made in America like Tuff Country I would consider those.

I come from back when all there were was the harsher riding leaf springs or you had a spring shop overarch the springs then add a leaf... also harsh. Basically, that's all lift kits were. I had a '69 Dodge W200 and no one even made a lift kit for those. We disassembled the packs, hammered one main leaf on an anvil till we were happy with the comparison to original, Then hammer the rest to conform, then do the other side to match. Obviously, I've never been one to rumble over the bumps off road. It took "technique"

Since I haul with my '72 K2500 I wanted to retain the original springs that were in good shape. so I did an Add-A-Leaf with 2" blocks, which I already had. It turned out the blocks were worn at the pin locator holes, so I ordered new ones. The longer u-bolts I bought were bullcrap, just rounded over the leafs. That left room for movement of the locator plate on top of the spring. I didn't like that so I ordered nuts-up u-bolts from Tuff Stuff. Needless to say, all this took much longer to get the truck together and ended up costing a lot toward what a pair of springs would have cost. Plus, the Tuff Stuff u-bolt kit is over-built with a thicker spring plate and fatter u-bolts. They look really tough, but I've never seen the factory spec u-bolts and plates fail due to being anemic. The plates are wider and I get a horrible BANG sometimes going over bumps. I believe the oversized plates are contacting the frame. I would cut them down to proper size but the truck is off the road right now. I'll be putting a proper spring lift on it before hitting the road. I ended up spending more to save a little

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote