View Single Post
Old 05-25-2021, 09:58 AM   #545
88Stanger

Re: SkinnyG's '61 Apache

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
Bed sides.

There is quite a bit of corrosion where the fenders mounted (and subsequently rusted the fender flanges). I'm curious if the bed was assembled bare and then primed and painted, or primed first. Nevertheless, they will be epoxy primed at a minimum when I'm done.

Left side with no patches:

Right side with patches, all TIG welded so as to be very malleable:

Seems like you are in the same place i have been, should I prime and paint the cab then set it on the frame and start assembly. Well honestly this can be done, BUT with inevitable "Oppsy" when trying to fit the fenders and doors and so on. I know the best way is to get everything close to final fit on the cab, set it on the frame, retest fit the doors then test fit the fenders, hood and such and get everything close and ready for final THEN paint.... this is not what i want to do, but I know it is the best. So, honestly, for you, I hate to say it but i would test fit everything first, get it ready, then dis-assemble and then paint. I am guessing this is not exactly what you want to hear and it will not be the fastest by any means, but i think in the end you will be happier. Either way, great job so far!!
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote