View Single Post
Old 03-26-2023, 01:27 PM   #196
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: HG's Dream Car Build - Shelby Cobra Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamanx View Post
Great progress photos! I've contemplated a similar stereo since it's all bluetooth driven from your phone for the tunes. Takes up much less space. While I'm working on a totally different car, I can fully appreciate the issues with space and the need to make things accessible for future service. I have a power brake booster under the drivers side of the dash so all that wiring you have is sitting on the passenger side glove box for me. No heater either, although I strongly contemplated at least putting heated inserts in the seats for comfort
I might do seat heaters, but that can be added later if I feel the need.

I've been poking at this off and on over the last week and not really getting much progress. I got the dash planed down to 1/2". I tried to do the kerf cuts on the end of the dash, I was bending it and it snapped. That's why it's a mock up. I didn't get my scrap planed down so I couldn't practice with that. I have the other end to try yet.

Had to email factory five to find out what light switch is supposed to work with this harness. It's not the mustang one though, so hope to hear from them tomorrow. I made a bracket to hold the ignition switch, it'll mount above my right knee under the dash. There were a couple brackets with the kit for things like this but they have a big square hole and no side bends for strength, so a little flimsy. Easy enough to make my own. Once I get the headlight switch I'll make another bracket to mount it over my left knee.

I think I'll get the seats bolted down this afternoon. Using an extra piece of 3/4" square tube under the front of the seat to get a little more angle.

I tried making a speaker grill but didn't care for the look. I think the round will look better, They are too close together so I trimmed the originals down on a side to fit. I'm not using these grills but it gives me a better visual. The round works better with the rest of the dash instruments.

I drilled a hole for the aux power port on the pass side of the speaker box. And a hole near the radio for the aux and usb ports. The only other switches for sure will be headlight dimmer and flashers. I decided not to use a start button for the engine and just use the key. Simpler.

Yesterday I tried working with some hinges for a 40 something chevy glovebox. They won't work, partly because of the thickness of the door and the radius of the hinge movement but also because they are side mount but the door has round ends and need to be mounted inset too far to work. So I'm looking at some other gooseneck type hinges. If anyone has an idea, please post or DM me. I don't want to see the hinge on the door bottom.
Attached Images

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote