View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 08:57 AM   #8
jorgensensc

Re: Any Interest In Fold/Flip Rear Seat Kits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capev86 View Post
ummm.....the third row is supposed to be removed and the second row becomes an extension of the cargo floor.
I am aware that the third row is supposed to be removed. I don't particularly like that set up. I don't know if you have ever been out and had to remove the third row to put something larger in, but it can be a real pain, especially if your by yourself. The problem with adapting the second row out of a square body is the way the seats fold and are made. The back of the seat bolts directly to the floor on a piano hinge, so it doesn't quite sit right if you try and use the stock seat and adapt it to fit. I agree the 60/40 is a nice idea, but if you are using stock style covers, like houndstooth for instance, you will spend a small fortune getting the seats custom upholstered to look like the stock seats. And if you try and use the stock frames they will also have to be custom made. Trust me when I say I looked into this option. Including trying to use a narrow second row with a utility bucket seat. Together they were too wide. The narrow second row seat is wider than 60% part.
The other reason I wanted to make the second row fold and flip is for easy entrance to the third row. If you just make it fold flat, getting into the third row is kind of tough since you then have to step up and over the laid flat seat back. And our seat frames were not made to be layed flat and stepped on, so it might end up damaging them longterm. Hope this clarifies my thought process.
Shawn
Posted via Mobile Device

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote