View Single Post
Old 10-26-2016, 09:19 AM   #19
Coupeguy2001

Re: 1956 Chevy 3100 front bearings (ball to roller?)

I used to have problems with the front ball outer bearings all the time until I increased the bearing preload 4 foot lbs.
I used my truck to go to work for 40 years, and every year, I would have to change the outer bearings.

The original bearing preload is 34 foot LBS. That is to counteract the axle stretch when the brakes and tire heat is transferred to the axle. Then the bearing preload would be about right.
it is true that with today's greases, the bearings do last longer. I would start to feel the vibration in the steering wheel, and know that I needed to head to the auto parts store for a set of outers. The tires I was running was 275/60/15 on all four corners. So it was imperative that I monitored my bearings closely.

In all the time I have driven this truck, I only ever had to replace the inner front bearings once, around 1989.
I have almost 360,000 miles on it, and about 20,000 miles on the new front end.

In order to stop changing bearings, I went to the tapered bearings, but because of the poor seal fit, I ended up checking them again every year to clean them and check for contamination by dirt and water. If the bearings had a formed in place seal, there wouldn't be an issue.

I have not had to do anything with the tapered bearings with the Grand National Buick front, although I have removed them and regreased them a couple years ago. They looked almost as good as when i installed them. With the tapered bearings, there is only 5-7 lbs preload.
But then again, I am using factory spindles, direct replacement seals, original spec bearings and synthetic grease.

Last edited by Coupeguy2001; 10-26-2016 at 09:28 AM.
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote