View Single Post
Old 03-30-2023, 03:08 AM   #8
87Skier

Re: 72 Jimmy rust repairs

Thought I would post an update...

Nearly done with drivers side. I've got the outer floor, inner rocker, hinge pillar, cab reinforcement, door striker pillar, B pillar, driver door repaired. It needed a new lower hinge, but I was able to rebuild the upper hinge. I made alignment marks and took careful measurements so that I was sure all the important points were in exactly the same spot. Everything is lining up very well.

I found some rust in the b pillar and where the door pillar meets the inner rocker. They were paper thin in spots, but still intact. To remove the vertical reinforcement for the B pillar, rocker box, and rocker end cap, I cut a hole inside my Jimmy near the door striker so I could fix the striker nut plate and get at the plate bolted through the floor since they are bolted in from the top. One bolt sheared off and one nut broke it's welds so it had to grind them out anyway. I drilled out the holes to 3/8" and welded two bolts through a plate and installed it from the top. Now I can install nuts from below, Incase it ever needs to removed again.

I test fit the rocker box and everything lines up. It is difficult to get to fit for the first time. Also it can't be sitting on the main cab mount, so I used another jack to hold it slightly forward if the mount. I used a rachet strap to pull it into place once I hooked the front lip onto lip that joins the firewall and floor. This set it very well and made a fight join between the panels.

I'm nearly done with the firewall. I welded up around 15 holes. I'm keeping my heater, so that all got left alone, but i got rid of the wiper washer hoses inside, in favor of an electric one near the bottle. I closed up the, clutch, tail wiring harness, throttle pedal, oil pressure and the firewall mat retainer holes. I still have the brake master, speedometer, parking brake, steering column openings. All electrical connections, except the high current stuff go through a new Deutsche 50 pin bulkhead connector. I'm working on an interior wiring harness with a modem fuse box. It's loo king very clean.

I'll post some pictures soon.
87Skier is offline   Reply With Quote