View Single Post
Old 02-03-2020, 08:07 PM   #1
SCOTI

SBC Pro-Topline Iron Heads

Late in 2018 I had a hot-rodding buddy pass away. The back story is he had been fighting cancer on/off for a while (around 2016) when he & I started BS'ing @ our local hot-rod/cruise-in/burger joint. He had purchased a nice 427sbc for his El Camino but wasn't able to put it in because he was weak from treatments. I knew the story & about his health issue so I volunteered to be his labor so he could enjoy his remaining time. He & I shared Saturdays tinkering on his Elco & bench building.... Standard guy stuff.

As stated, his time was limited & he passed just before the end of '18. Last year, I assisted his widow with sorting the garage stuff for the insurance related pro-bate politics. She was told by him that all the parts & tools in the garage were mine for the taking if/when the time came. So I helped sort what went where & took what was not related to the Elco or other vehicles he had been wrenching on in the past. One of the items was a pair of partially assembled cast iron sbc heads. I had no idea what they were; only that they weren't stock.

I've been making a big push to consolidate & clean-up my shop early this year. These heads have been sitting on a bench for a while now so I started doing research & believe them to be Pro-Topline heads. Based on the serial numbers stamped into the ends, it appears they're:

Pro-Lightning series Cast Iron/23° heads
64cc chamber/220cc runner
'As cast' bowls/chambers/ports
Angle Plug

I plan to list them on C-list but not sure what value to put on them since they're not fully assembled or new. They were on a sbc @ some point but now only have valves & rocker studs in place but that's about it. It looks like when he felt up to some tinkering time, he was cleaning/smoothing the ports.

Any help would be appreciated.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote