View Single Post
Old 02-28-2015, 04:48 AM   #26
ZacharyDouglas1992

Re: 454 rebuild- 83 K3500

let me just start of by saying that you're right on all accounts. I could've gone more aggressive on the cam, and it would definitely benefit from exhaust lift/duration.

But, I have to adhere to pretty strict California smog laws, which means I had to take it easy on the cam, and I can't really mess with the timing at all which also would help with a more aggressive cam.

The springs in the heads can take much more lift, and for anyone else using this build For ideas, from the fun states without the nazi air resource board, definitely use a more aggressive cam and really open things up!

The reality of it for me, is that I have a towing vehicle with 4.56 gears, and the low end is where it really matters. It'll idle nice, last a long time, and tow my toys just fine. If I'm ever feeling like I'm lacking in top end, I'll just hop in my Chevelle and satisfy that need haha.

Thanks always for all the comments/suggestions/advice. That's what makes these threads useful to those seeking some advice.

And speaking of this thread. I checked on my rotating assembly yesterday. Should be done by the end of next week. Having my rods machined to use floaters instead of pressed for the Pistons. So that added a little time. But I'll be glad I did it, If nothing else when I have it apart next time, and I don't have all the Pistons ruined removing them.
1987 R10 TBI 350/700R4
2014 CRUZE 2.0 TURBO DIESEL
ZacharyDouglas1992 is offline   Reply With Quote