View Single Post
Old 09-21-2005, 08:27 AM   #1
Woogeroo

Talking indented part number reading trick I stumbled on...

Hiyas.

so I was trying to read a part number on a 'parking brake lever' that goes into the rear drum on my '65 c10...

This piece of metal is all dark and rusted of course, so I figured I would clean it up a bit to see if I could make it easier to read the part number.

So, I took some of that Bon Ami(white dishwashing powder scrubbing stuff) and sprinkled some onto the side of the part with the number I wanted to read with some water and scrubbed it some.

I rinsed the part off with some water and decided to scrub some more with the Bon Ami, so I sprinkled some more on there and scrubbed a bit. Before I rinsed the part with water again I wiped across the area with the number I was trying to read... and the Bon Ami had filled up the indented part number. The white Bon Ami against the dark rust gave a great contrast and made it very easy to read the part number.

Since I found this out, I have pondered that a bar of soap would do a similiar thing if you used it like a crayon... or just use a crayon maybe? Especially if it is a big part, in a funky area and ya can't get it out... anyhoo.

I'm sure other folks have stumbled on this before, but I thought I'd share anyway.

-W