View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 04:38 AM   #35
Desperado454

Re: Parked Indefinite

The monotony of my day to day garbage job has been having a direct effect on my life. Depressed, unmotivated and generally lost, I've not only turned to my tried and true mix of Jim Beam and off brand ginger ale, I've been trying to draw inspiration from my first try at a turbo small block. Pictures will follow, but let me set the scene. Young, broke, clueless, yet motivated(!) I hit up craigslist in search of the largest cheapest turbo money could buy. Well i couldn't have been more tickled to have stumbled upon not only an exceptionally large turbo, it was a cheap turbo! $60 was a small price to pay to join to forced induction club i thought, and the process to fit this behemoth to my vortec headed sbc was set to begin! I'll add to this story in time but for now i'll describe the following pics. First 2 are of the relic itself; likely a long forgotten milestone of the pinnacle of turbochargers in the early 60's. The following trio show how to drain a turbo and reference a mechanical pump on the cheap. The last pic, however, is a warning to those who have spent the time to build a turbo setup. Don't waste your time doing this, then invite all of your buddies over with the intent to show off how sweet it sounds spooling up. A turbo most likely won't spool up like you'd wish with zero load on the engine. An embarrassing lesson learned for sure.

Desperado454 is offline   Reply With Quote