View Single Post
Old 02-02-2022, 02:16 PM   #58
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: LockDoc's "Low Budget", "Low Maintenance" Project Thread

-
I had a little time to kill so I decided to get started on setting up the ECM using my HP Tuners software this morning. I got it all connected and the laptop fired up. I built a wire loom so I could do all of the ECM programming stuff on the dining room table. It makes it a lot more enjoyable to be able to sit down in comfort......

I got the original tune scanned and backed up to my hard drive, now I can go in and remove the VATS, EGR, rear 02 sensors, A/C, and 4x4 stuff. There are a few other things but I will have to look at my cheat sheet and double check. It has been quite a while since I did my '67 Panel Truck.

In the picture, the large grey box in the back is the regulated 12v power supply. There is a separate rocker switch that turns on the power to the ECM. The large silver box is the ECM (Truck Computer), and on top of it is the Diagnostic connector from under the dash of the donor truck. It has the cable from the HP Tuners interface box plugged into it. The small grey/black box is the HP Tuner interface that connects the ECM to the PC.

The PC will read the "tune" in the ECM, then you can make changes to it and write the modified "Tune" back to the ECM computer. The only thing you really have to remove to make the engine run is the VATS (key resistor chip) information that would keep the engine from starting.

I'm sure some of this stuff will be pretty boring to some but I want to document it for future reference.

LockDoc
-
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 02-26-2023 at 11:00 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote