View Single Post
Old 03-02-2017, 10:53 PM   #15
theastronaut

Re: '88 F*rd Festiva Autocross/Track/Daily Driver Build

Thanks dudes! I was a little hesitant to post a "ford" econobox build on here but it looks like it has some fans lol.

This has seriously been one of the most fun to drive cars I've owned. Not long after I bought the Festiva I bought a '92 Miata, thinking I'd keep it for autocross/road course duties and sell the Festiva. I added a nice set of fully adjustable coilovers, BBS wheels, and sticky tires, but the little Festiva on cheap all season tires still puts the upgraded Miata to shame in the corners.

I've picked up a third Festiva, this one was listed as "not running" but it was so cheap ($100 bucks!) that I couldn't pass it up. The ad didn't list many details so when I got there to look at it I was surprised to find that it had A/C and power steering. Of all the racks that will swap into a festiva, the factory PS rack has the quickest ratio. My '88 has a really slow manual rack, so the rack and A/C will be swapped in from this car.

I also attended "Festiva Madness 10", the largest all-Festiva show in the world

Pic taken right after I got home from Madness. I got 36.25 mpg and hit a top speed of 102.97 mph... downhill (GPS verified!).

I bought a set of Nankang NS-2R tires in the 120 treadwear version so I finally have a set of sticky tires for autocrossing.

For the engine swap, I filled a factory upper engine mount with urethane to stiffen it up, and made spacers to relocate the engine 2.125" farther forward for better weight distribution.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote