View Single Post
Old 07-07-2016, 12:51 PM   #13
FirstOwner69

Re: Need help identifying mirrors

Here's a short tutorial with things I've learned regarding the 1969-1971 DG4 mirrors referred to on early SPIDs as "W/C MIRROR-JR-LH&RH" and on later SPIDs as "BELOW EYELONE MIRRO".

I've found that there were at least 2 variations. Both utilize the same hole pattern in the doors. The information below is based on my 1969 originals and a set now on my 69 that I got from a 1970 GMC. The most common, by far, appear to be the type I got from the 1970 GMC.

Legs...
The first version legs were like the originals on my early 69 (picture 1). They were quite straight at the bottom whereas the second version bowed out from the door (picture 2). My assumption is that the bow was added to provide additional clearance with the upper beltline molding which (assumption #2) was first offered sometime during the 1969 model year.

Horizontal support to door...
My first version supports (picture 3) measure 6-7/8 ". The second version (picture 4) measure 5-1/4".

Mirror heads...
The mounting brackets on my original mirror heads were offset vertically which allowed the owner to raise or lower the head by flipping the mirror. Most others I've seen are centered. I have no idea when that change occurred or if mine are truly unique. In an earlier thread I read, someone claimed that this was a Ford design head, but I'm 100% sure mine are original to the truck.

See the next post for pictures of the assembled mirrors.
Attached Images

FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote