View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 12:10 AM   #54
nebdrummer

Re: my 50 build... why not?

The 3rd member showed up last Wednesday and it's everything the guy said it was!
Brought it to my rear end guy and he checked it out and said i got a smokin deal.

9+case, 1 season on 3.50 gears, brand new spool, new bearings, new pinion support, new 1350 yoke shipped to my door for 500 bucks.

1st fail of the weekend, I had everything lined up to be able to get the rear end welded solid to the frame this weekend, then i could have started cutting for my C-notch. BUT, i forgot to order my lug nuts. I should have them in hand for next weekend.

2nd fail, something isn't right at all with my brake kit. Its from speedway motors. I have used this exact kit before and had no issues, so I don't know what the issue is. I'm meeting with a guy on Monday to see what we can figure out. First issue, This bolt hole next to where the brake line goes into the caliper doesn't allow for a nut to go on, beings its too close .

second issue, IF, its even an issue. The caliper doesn't sit flush with the mounting bracket. the whole thing mounts tight against less than 1/16th of an inch.

Got the majority of the undercoating out of the cab. That stuff is not fun to get out at all. We ended up using thinner and rags.

3rd and final fail of the weekend, I thought I picked up all of the thinner soaked rags before I started welding, but I missed 2. They made their way wedged between the battery box and the running board mount. I started welding on the passenger side and noticed my arm was getting warm. I looked up and the flames were already up to the dash! I blew on them to get the flames lower, and flicked them on to the ground with my hand and the flames were STILL up to the dash. Nothing was damaged, I finally found some floor dry and put it out. Man that was an eye opener...

I kinda made up my mind on what im going to do for the firewall. 1st on the list is to fix the old mans rig job. When the truck was being built the first time (when i was 15ish), he put in new front floor boards and toe boards, but was lacking a welder. So.... he riveted them in. :doh: The other thing he riveted in was a piece of 14 ga. steel just to make the floor level for the seat brackets. That's staying out and saving me 50 lbs.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=380212
nebdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote