Thread: Hydroboost
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2005, 07:03 AM   #3
dennislbrooks

The unit came from an 82 Chev Impala diesel. From what I have found out, one hose from the pump high pressure to the Hydro (passenger side port) the other from the Hydro to the steering gear. Both the Hydro and the Steering gear low pressure back to the pump. I have lines from the 82 impala as donors. My steering gear is from a 76 impala on my 67. Worst case I goe to the hydraulic line shop to convert a fitting but I think all will hook up if the lines are long enough. It appears that the hydro casting are near the same but the adater plates may be different. I removed the big nut and replaced the plate. I had to enlarge the firewall hole about an 1/8 inch and shave the big nut some. I will send some pics when I get the linkage rod converted. Bendix made it a little tuff in that the rod is a crimp fit so machining will be done with the rod still attached. I do plan on a support from the top of the column shaft--existing 1/4 fine thread bolt -- to the hydro. As I understand you initially bleed the lines and all with the front wheels jacked up. Once I get it figured out. things need cleaned up and painted. My 79 booster hid some stuff. I will either procure or fabricate a "T" or a "Y". Since it is low pressure, a weld bead can be used for retention with a clamp. Yes I made the adapter plate out of 5/32" steel plate, put a key weld in the 1 5/8" hole. I have a ways to go yet. A short rod came with my unit. I will have to lengthen --hopefully mechanically.

Last edited by dennislbrooks; 10-06-2005 at 01:41 PM. Reason: correction