View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 01:35 AM   #37
RockTonka

Re: Our "What are we going to do?" 66 Suburban Build

It runs!!

My son and I spent most of this weekend chasing our tails trying to get this burb to fire and just, finally, got it purring like a fat and happy cat about an hour ago

We started sat. morning by draining/refilling old fluids, replacing filters, plugs, wires and cleaning up the obvious loose ends. Everything looked like it was supposed to and we thought we were ready to try to fire it off...wasn't happening.

No fuel tank so we were squirting fuel down the carb, backing off, and cranking away...nothing. Not a burp, fart, hiccup, cough...nothing. WTH.

Power to the coil but nothing out. No spark, alright then...new coil it is.

Drop a new coil on and try again...nothing. WTFH.

New points, condenser, cap, rotor, and new coil...everything seems right but no fire. We feed the coil directly from the battery, crank away and...backfires out the carb!! Well, good we guess...getting fuel and spark...kinda. Thinking maybe bad resistor wire or starter solenoid feeding the coil. Fool around with that for a while but can't pinpoint anything. We go back to feeding the coil from the resistor wire/starter and now have semi-consistent backfires out of the carb and nothing else. (gotta imagine me jumping back and forth with my squirter bottle of gas feeding the fire) WTMFH. Got to be timing...but now its 3 a.m. and we're beat.

Jumped back into this afternoon thinking we're missing the obvious. We knew the short term SIL owner had mentioned fooling with the timing and we ASSumed that he had it somewhat right, but...maybe not...so back to the basics.

We brought #1 up to TDC and low and behold...the dizzy was 180 out.

It's always good to find a problem though, now we had a direction.

Pull all the wires, roll about 10 degrees of advance into it, hook everything up correctly, and...woo hoo...smoke out the exhaust. Getting closer.

I was getting pretty leary of squirting gas at the carb by then and we knew it needed more fuel so we fiqured that it was time for a fenderwell tank. Drop a line to the fuel pump and...crank, crank, crank, crank, crank, crank. Sigh.

Pump was sucking it from the fenderwell but wasn't pushing any fuel to the carb...back to AutoZone...again.

New pump, check. Timing set, check. Fire to the plugs, check. Dash of gas down the carb, check. Fire extinguisher, check.

Crank, crank, crank, Vroooom!! And it RUNS!!! and stays RUNNING!!

Roll the dist. back and forth a bit and get it close by ear...smoooootth!

Kill it and start it a few times (just because we can). Smoke out the neighborhood for a few minutes.

Can't do much else right now but we do drop it into drive...creeps forward. Drop it into reverse, eases on back...cool.

It's starting to snow now and the kids have an hour drive back to school so time to shut it down.

The master is leaking a bit at the booster...will probably pick up a new master/booster combo tomorrow. Tank should be here soon...can't wait now.

Got it titled, tagged, and insured Fri but the boy made me promise not to test drive it until he gets back next weekend...gonna be a long week.

1966 "Not-So-Original" Chevy Custom Trim Suburban
My Time-Killing Project Truck

1966 GMC Extended cab 1 1/4 ton 4X4
My Son's build thread
RockTonka is offline   Reply With Quote