View Single Post
Old 10-09-2019, 02:46 PM   #3
Second Series

Re: 1990 Chevy K1500

I Put the rear on jack stands and determined the passenger side brake cable was seized. I replaced that and now the parking brake holds. The brake light is on and I get a code 3 “Open Dump Valve or ECU Malfunction”. I’m not sure how to proceed on this, I disconnected the battery to clear the codes, but the brake warning light remains on.
I put some epoxy on the knock sensor and gave it a day to cure. I was poking around underneath and touched the battery wire at the starter. The stud in the solenoid is loose, I can rotate the wire, stud and nut together. The truck starts fine, but it will be a problem on the side of the road. I also noticed a wire on the driver’s side coming from between the rotor and backing plate. It looks like a ’95-up ABS rotor was installed…
I’ve been reading about the RWAL system and the brake warning light, Next thing is to ohm out the connector to the dump valve, when I get some time.
I want to drive this truck, so I filled up the gas tank and got a load of gravel. The bed went low with ½ yard, my ¾ ton truck handled the weight better, but at least I wasn’t rubbing the 33” tires on this K1500. I pulled my flatbed trailer out of the bushes and went for a drive. The K2500 is partly dismantled and I loaded up the longbed, front clip, hood and bumpers. The scrap yard is paying 1 cent a pound, so maybe $10.00 for these truck parts. I decided to keep them and make an art fence. That bed floor would make a nice shed roof, I couldn’t buy corrugated tin at that price. I’ll put an ad up before I get out the torch…
No more check engine or check gauges light and no fluctuating temp and oil gauges. I hope the shorted knock sensor was all that was the problem, only one way to find out, drive! The truck didn’t come with door keys, so I bought a pair of door lock cylinders, when I get time…
Attached Images

1955.2 Chevy 6700 Bus/RV
1990 Chevy K1500
Second Series is offline   Reply With Quote