View Single Post
Old 06-19-2021, 04:10 PM   #9
REDROCKER652002

Re: Front brake issue

Hey guys, sorry for the delay, been busy and kinda forgot. He took everything apart to find that the outer bearing was completely blown out on the drivers side. Passenger side was good. The needle bearings had separated from the race and were rattling around inside the hub, if that makes sense. The spindle was grooved a little, so it best to replace it. Since we did not really know where they came from, had gm numbers stamped on them though, he decided to go thru summit and buy CPP. They came in pairs so he replaced both sides. He works at Oreilly's so he decided to put in new tie rod ends and basically rebuild the front end as best he could. I stepped back and let him do his thing, he needs to learn. He unfortunately bought the wrong tie rod ends and when he brought it to get the front end aligned the guy told him. So, he repackaged all the stuff he bought, brought it back to Oreilly's and bought new Moog stuff. He said this stuff went in much easier and matched the year of the CPP sprindle. I have strongly recommended he get the car realligned, but as of now I don't think he has. I am going to give him another week or so to do the right thing then I will be a bit more stern in my recommendation. I almost think he doesn't want to do it because he is worried the guy will tell him the parts are wrong again. He doesn't go much over 20 MPH and drives it about 4 blocks, so for now I am OK with him learning all this on his own. I told him that if the front isn't alligned right, he will be buying new tires, and those cost him a few hundred each I think, so I am hoping his cheap side will come out. LOL

I know some of you are going to blast me for not getting involved, but I watched him as he did it, so I know all the parts were put in correctly and torqued right, all cotter keys inserted and bent in place.

My feeling is that he may have had the bearing tightened to tight and that is what blew it out, but I am sure others will have different takes on it.

Either way, he is learning a ton and seems to really enjoy the truck while we do work to it as we can.

Thanks to all for input, and sorry for the delay.

RR
REDROCKER652002 is offline   Reply With Quote