Thread: My shop
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2021, 10:39 PM   #23
dsraven

Re: My shop

a shop that size would take a lot to heat and maybe be a lot to ask for a pellet stove. I have an overhead natural gas unit heater in the corner of the ceiling in my garae. it is angled so it circulates heat around the shop. it works pretty well. I didn't go with radiant because it takes too long to recover. not sure if thats an option for you. if you have access to cheap wood there are plans for a home made stove made from a couple of drums. the bottom drum is laid flat and is the firebox, the chimney from that goes into the next drum stacked above that is split in half and chambered inside so the hot exhaust from the first barrel has to go in and circulate before it exits. my buddies dad had one when growing up and it heated a pretty good sized rea similar to yours. it takes about as much room as a 45 gallon drum laid on its side with some room between it and the walls for safety. google two barrel stove if interested, there are lits available for the hardware only, maybe home depot? some guys put pipes inside the top barrell as well so they stick out each end and can be manifolded so a fan can be used to blow through the pipes to be more efficient. an old house furnace also works pretty good. I had a downdraft furnace for a mobile home in one of my garages years ago, it sat on a baffle that directed air out across the floor. that worked pretty well too but it was a smaller garage, 24x28 I think.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote