Thread: 47-55.1 crazy anti theft idea
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2022, 08:10 PM   #18
1project2many

Re: crazy anti theft idea

I like the brake switch idea, except that almost all of today's vehicles require the driver to press the brake switch before the car will start. It could be so natural for a potential thief to do this that they will defeat the anti-theft without even realizing it.

I personally like to use misdirection as a security feature. The cigar lighter starter button is a great example. A vintage garage door opener attached to the dash and connected to a normally open pushbutton is not likely to look like an antitheft device. Press and hold the door opener switch to enable the starter then turn the key to "start."

Set up a normally open magnetic switch to close the circuit to a starter relay. Place the switch inside the bottom of a stuffed animal. When the animal is sitting on steel the starter relay can be engaged. Place the toy on the dash to drive, set it on the floor when you park. So what if people see the wires? There's a very slim chance they'll think it's anything other than some sort of 12V cutie toy.

Get a low pressure air or brake fluid switch and attach it to a vintage or reproduction windshield washer "pump" pedal and bellows. Most folks won't have any idea what the washer pump pedal is for. And if they know, they won't be trying to use it to start the truck.

I love the idea of the fuel valve handle. But use the handle to operate a battery disconnect switch. Be sure to label the switch "Fuel tank" clearly indicating L and R to conceal the on and off positions.

What about making it obvious? An old fashioned SPDT "Frankenstein" switch placed in plain sight is not likely to suggest it's being used as an antitheft device. Again, a label such as "Tesla Coil" could convince folks to believe it's only a novelty.

Mount a small light with a round base on a rotary switch. Turn the switch on the way out to disable the starter. It could be mounted on the ceiling so it looks like a dome light. Simple trick that few would think to look for.

Worst part is that none of it stops a guy with a wheel lift from taking the truck. Sad but true.

Last edited by 1project2many; 11-01-2022 at 08:26 PM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote