View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 08:48 PM   #14
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

Re: Should I sandblast my cab?

I'm with "watahyahknow" in that caustic soda dipping is the best method for prepping a classic vehicle for restoration. All paint, rust, undercoating, glue, bondo, everything but steel & lead is dissolved away. You have to make sure the outfit doing this does a good job of rinsing the solution out of the nooks and crannies and the parts go through a final phosphate or iron-oxide conversion bath and drying oven, before they hand 'em back to ya. Granted this is significantly more costly than media blasting, but the results are like day and night compared to sandblasting. I did this to a '62 Ragtop VW back in my younger years and it was awesome to have the metal so clean and not having to worry about sand or whatnot being trapped in seams and blind crannies....only to rear it's ugly head after the paint has gone on. I will be doing this again to my SWB frame and suspension components, as well as the inner fenders, core support and bed. If I wasn't already replacing most of the sheetmetal on the cab...I'd probably dip that too.
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote