View Single Post
Old 07-22-2017, 04:27 PM   #112
44boggers

Re: American in Austria 83 Build

alright guys, metal work is a lot harder than you think when you dont know what youre doing, or your teaching yourself as you go. So I went from a roof that had some good amount of oil canning and low spots, to a complete **** show from the work I did. I took a break and thought it through a bit and started to figure out how to actually move the metal where I want it to go. I got rid of 80 percent of the oil canning and most of the low spots but also created a big low spot in the process. But at least now I have a much better understanding of how to move the metal where I need it to go. I have been using the stud puller to bring the low spots out which I dont really like because you are left with a lot of tiny little "high spots" and its not so easy to create a 100 percent smooth panel, well at least my skill level cant at the moment. But at least I am making good progress and any low spot i have is .023" or less, so about 1/64" low. So nothing extreme. My biggest goal is to get rid of the oil canning. But I have run out of time as I am going to New Zealand tomorrow for 6 weeks and I needed get the cab in epoxy since everything was stripped down to bare metal. I spent easily around 20 hours between stripping the entire cab to bare metal and working the roof. I probably could have left a lot of the orignal paint and scuffed it and then epoxied but I figured I have gone this far into the build I might as well make sure all of the metal is clean.

So today I finally got 3 coats of Standox epoxy on the exterior. This is my first time running a paint gun so that is a learning process. (well I did the underside of the cab before, so this is my second time using a gun)

Overall I think everything laid down well, no runs and it seemed to lay down flat. The only thing i saw was that the roof seemed to have a rough finish than the sides and back of the cab. Maybe its overspray that fell into the epoxy or my technique is off. i need to research that a bit. But like I said the sides and back of the cab laid down very smooth.

When I get back from new zealand I will finish the roof so all the low spots are gone along with the rest of the oil canning. Then onto completely finishing the firewall with final base and clear to I can put the cab back on the frame before the winter hits in the end of october.

Any insight on the dry spray on the roof would be helpful.

Thanks guys

Paul
Attached Images

Last edited by 44boggers; 07-23-2017 at 02:07 AM.
44boggers is offline   Reply With Quote