View Single Post
Old 05-29-2016, 12:13 PM   #25
Coley

Smile Re: August 1970 Consumer Reports 3/4 ton Custom Camper Comparison Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicklajoie View Post
I have a lot of old issues of Consumer Reports and like to read back on them. You can say what you want about today's vehicles versus those of almost 50 years ago. But the build quality of today's are heads and shoulders above what they were back then. It wasn't unusual for the magazine to find some vehicles with 25-30 defects during their stay with them.
Yep.
I often run into people at show'n shines that go about how much better these vehicles were...and I always find myself at odds in my reply.
Truthfully, vehicles have never been better built, safer and more reliable than what is coming off the assembly lines today, truth be told.
However....the tipping point is that these older vehicles are like interesting mechanical art to me...and for that reason, should not be compared on a practical basis. Plus, they are just a lot of fun to have, own, drive and putz around with...which is something quite different than straight up transportation.
My two bits.

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote