View Single Post
Old 03-13-2015, 01:50 PM   #22
Keyblazer

Re: 1973 Blazer Build/Resto... Input please!

Busy busy.

Been doing some engine work so I can get a baseline on this motor.
The engine runs ok, but bogs down when you hit the gas, so I think the carb might need a rebuild.
Oil pressure seems strong... 30+psi cold at idle with old oil in there... I will change it today with some high quality Diesel oil.
I put a Mallory HEI ignition in it a while back, but I was not sure I had the timing set correctly. Upon trying, found the idle speed was too high 1200/1500rpm. This explained why it sometimes diesels after turning the engine off when hot. Cured that... when the normal idle screw made no difference, it turned out to be the choke fast idle screw.
Once I have it set up better I will run a compression test, and that will be a chance to put new plugs in her.

I did discover why the belts squealed like a banshee at 3000rpm and above!
The engine fan had one of those aftermarket solid fan spacers.
I had a near new Viscous coupling, so that went back in instead... much better.
I have no instrument panel function beyond oil pressure... the tach is stuck at 1500rpm but does move when I turn on the ignition... need to check the Mallory distributor connections again. I cannot even find the wire that should go to the coolant sensor under the hood!

Dropped by at The Truck Shop in Orange County and picked up a pair of front floor pans... I may need the rear part as well, but wanted to see what these cover before I decided.

This is the rear seat I plan to put in... its the 3rd row item from my '87 suburban.

Keyblazer is offline   Reply With Quote