View Single Post
Old 06-22-2022, 11:26 PM   #5
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: NOT so EZ wiring

Well I havent been on the forum for a few days and now I see we have a new poster with a problem.
The suburban should have the same circuits as the chevy c 10s. I didn't think that the ignition switch was in the column in the 67 surbuban or the truck. My 67 is in the dash and I believe the first one in the column is the 71 or 72. it doesn't matter because they are all wired the same.
The video you linked has the information that you need to wire the light switch so you need to look at it a little closer. I was going to post the wiring for the light switch and then I saw the video so I will just point out a couple of things.

The headlight switch power wires are the red wire and the orange wire. The red wire just powers the dimmer switch for the headlights and the orange wire supplies the juice for the other lights. Parking, brake and dome light. The white wire is a ground and it provides the ground side of the dome and courtesy lights. This is spelled out in the video and is clearly marked on the diagram of the light switch. The white wire is grounded by the light switch and by the door switches. What do you think is going to happen if you wire the hot orange wire to the ground white wire like you are suggesting? If you use the 68 switch you shouldn't have to use the jumper to keep the parking lights on when you pull the headlight switch fully on.

The orange wire is supplied by the red wire from the key switch to the fuse panel and then the orange wire supplies power to the headlight switch, the brake light switch, the dome and courtesy lights and the cargo light if you have one. It also powers the AC switch, the cigar lighter and the radio.
I will post a diagram of the circuits.

Name:  Cab-1web 1.JPG
Views: 344
Size:  97.0 KB

Your wiring harness since it is a universal unit , may not match the wiring colors of the stock trucks so I'm going to stop here for now. I will add that your stop light switch must be from a newer truck if it has a dual switching function. The normal switch has a normally open circuit between the orange wire and the white wire to the column harness. Don't confuse this white wire with the white grounded wire for the dome light, they are not the same.
The other function on the stop light switch is normally closed and is probably a cruise control function or for the 700R4 or newer overdrive transmission to disengage the converter clutch when you step on the brakes.

Showing the orange wire to the light switch.

Name:  Cab-2-web.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  104.5 KB

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.

Last edited by VetteVet; 06-22-2022 at 11:32 PM.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote