View Single Post
Old 08-22-2022, 03:50 PM   #63
justKIDn

Re: 1970 C20 father/son frame off rebuild

Part of his winnings was a free entry into one of the biggest footbrake races around here. We decided to pull out of storage, the project Camaro we had, for after his junior dragster career was over, and the truck was built. After a three-week thrash, and about 6 test passes, we had the car “ready for the track”. First pass out he blows the front tire at the finishline at 101mph. The first words out of his mouth when I got to him is “Dad, think we can find some tires tonight”? We did find some, loaned to us from another racer, and 8 more passes into the race we bowed out because we were filling the oil pan up with water. It was very disappointing, especially because he was winning rounds. That in itself exceeded our expectations, but engine failure was not even on my radar. As it turns out, our freshly rebuilt “with all the good stuff” engine, which I have the build sheet and invoice for, had a “repaired” cracked cylinder that “unrepaired” on us. The drivetrain is the only reason I bought the car, the rest of it was/is a mess. Bummer.
Attached Images

justKIDn is offline   Reply With Quote