View Single Post
Old 08-05-2015, 04:20 PM   #23
keith cservak

Re: Help with 22.5 Wheels/Tire size

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBrecheisen View Post
Thank you. I am pretty happy with it. The radials seem to make a decent amount of improvement in the ride. It didn't ride "bad" before, but the radials seem to have softened up some of the harsh bumps found on some frost-weathered northern roads. The tire guy did not do any balancing on the tires when they were mounted. He said re-caps are often difficult to balance and due to the low speed this truck typically sees, I probably wouldn't have an issue. He was right on the money. I didn't notice any tire balance related vibrations at all. The wheels seem to be a good product. The wheel/tire combo is a tad taller than the original, which is what i wanted. I wanted the taller tire to help the top end road speed a little bit. While there is an improvement, I'm sort of thinking I may need to do a gear change at some point. I'd like to be able to hit 55 without running the engine at such high RPM if I can get away with it. That will be probably next years project.

The big reason I had to switch the wheels was due to the old Firestone RH-5 split wheels. I got into this project without the knowledge of those wheels and found by talking to most experience big-truck hobbyists that they are not recommended due to safety reasons and thier history of accidents.

I like the new set up. I do think the truck seems to run/ride a little better and because they are taller, I get a few MPH out of it. The larger tires look a little nicer too in my opinion. I was hoping to get a set of the original style tubless wheels, but I couldn't find a full set. I am ok with these ones. I think they look ok now that I've had a chance to look at them for a while.
I'm looking to do the same thing to my 51 chevy 6400 still doing the research for the wheels not sure if the one's you used will work on truck but I want a little taller and radials hopefully over the winter I will keep driving it every day as is for now.
Keith.
keith cservak is offline   Reply With Quote