View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 11:32 PM   #8
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Re: Newby Overhauling a 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdude239 View Post
pistion slap is caused but wear int eh cylinders. i ahd a 327 that knocked on start up and the high rpms, only way to fix it is a compete tear down and rebuild, i'd get the numbers off the rear of the engine block to verify that you do indeed have a 283 DO THIS BEFORE ordering any parts for the engine, Then its all about dissembling the motor and having the cylinders bored and honed new freeze plugs cam bearings , heads reworked, havignt eh crank checked out at the machince shop so you can get mtching bearings for it. good place to get rebuild kits are http://www.northernautoparts.com/.

i rebuilt a 305 for my truck i had over 600 dollars in parts (rebuild kit, rods rockers vavles vavle guides, a new crank) ect..) i did all the machine work at school with teacher supervision, but if i had to pay for all that machine work i'd been at close to 1500 dollars, and you can get a gm 350 290hp turn key for 1900, all on what you want to do
Lots of good info I still have an old 283 packed in grease,2 steel cranks,a set of sj 327 rods , & a set of 520 casting(powerpack) heads.....for a lite weight A bone rod ,that I might build (someday) I like the little short stroke motors, but they do best in a light weight car, with a stick shift/low gears! A 350 cube crate, would be a nice option, & if you dont need that old L-82 cam, the base crate is a tad cheaper? Just fruit for thought best of fun,crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....

Last edited by crazy longhorn; 01-07-2012 at 11:35 PM. Reason: spelling
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote