View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #24
GRX

Re: Newby Overhauling a 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshab View Post
So now I need some major help. I'm kind of wet behind the ears when it comes to motors. I have some experience, but probably not near as much as all of yall do. I want to mildly modify this 327. Not something that is going to cost me thousands and thousands, but I have a little bit put back that would allow me to have some fun with it.

What do yall recommend as far as:
Carburetor
Intake manifold
Camshaft
Heads
And anything else I don't know to ask about

I know I have to make sure I don't have a cam that is too big for my heads and stuff like that, but I don't know exactly what to compare when looking at that. I bought a book on Amazon (Amazon.com: Musclecar & Hi Po Chevy 302 & 327: Chevrolet Restoration / Performance / Engines (9781855200975): R.M. Clarke: Books) that will hopefully help me out with this. Should be in the mail sometime this week or early next week.
I specialize in Pontiacs. Others would be better suited to give advise on what is best for your particular application. You should start another thread with those questions. You will get more eyes that way.

The book link didn't work. You might try an Amazon search on these:

"Chevrolet High Performance Tips and Techniques"

This one is not Chevy specific, but has loads of great info. Hard to find a better builder than Smokey Yunick.

"Smokey Yunick's Power Secrets"