View Single Post
Old 07-03-2015, 09:43 PM   #15
wcstory

Re: #$%@! Bent Push Rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic-1 View Post
How long has the engine sat since the rebuild? I have seen many bent pushrods due to low mileage engines sitting without being run for awhile. Tight valves combined with old gas does this a lot. We ran into one recently that broke 2 pushrods and we pulled them out and I aired up the cylinder and pulled the valve spring to get to the valve and cleaned it with carb spray then worked wd40 into the guide until it moved free. We then ran the engine at idle for a bit using sea foam to loosen the varnish. We ran the engine gently for a bit and it cleaned up nice and ran great. Just make sure the old gas has been removed and put clean fuel back in. You already have it apart and I wondered what you found inside.
That's 13,000 since manufacture. She was a fire support truck.

Prior to me getting her I'm guessing the PO bought it non running. It must of sat for a couple years. The old carb was frozen, the gas tank rusted out and fuel lines clogged. I found the old carb in a body compartment. There was a brand new tank in it, but not hooked up. It ran on a boat fuel tank and 10' of fuel line to the pump.

He must of put the new carb on it, a good blast of starting spray and fired it up without checking to see if it turned free. The push rods were the weak point and gave (luckily).

It was running rough when I got it. I hooked up the new tank and found the fuel line 100% plugged. Bought a new fuel line from Inline Tube

I've got both heads off and on the bench. When I open the valve covers I found #1 intake didn't want to compress with a bar, #3 exhaust was sticky/slow. Tomorrow I'm going to see which valves are stuck/sticky. Hoping to be able to pop the springs and tap out the stuck valves.

My GMC Photos
wcstory is offline   Reply With Quote