View Single Post
Old 01-10-2021, 11:36 AM   #105
landarts
landarts

Re: 71 K20 Idaho Edition

After sitting around for a week trying to let my back heal I could not stand it anymore and headed out into the garage to see if I could move the ball forward just a little. I had recently painted the outside of the cab and jam areas. The paint turned out great with virtually no orange peel. However I did have a few run areas that needed to be addressed. So I decided today was the day and that would be something I could do without putting stress on lower back.

I spent some time while healing to see what others do when there are runs in the paint. What I found is that are several ways to fix runs. One that I thought I would try was using a straight razor blade that you put a slight bend into it and round off the both ends to prevent a gouge. I figured the worst thing that would happen is that I would have to sand the area down a bit and feather out and respray.

First I want to say that I am not a professional, I do this as a hobby and enjoy the challenges and learning something new on every build. I try to push myself to do something different or try to do something on the build I have never done before. This is one of those situation, fixing runs in a fresh paint job.

So here is what I did in this order.
  • Opened a new box of blades and bent one slightly so it has a slight curve shape
  • Then I grabbed a piece of 220 grit wet dry paper and rounded off both of the ends so it would not grab and cause a gouge
  • I proceeded to drag the razor across the top of each run holding the blade horizontal, you actually hear a scrapping sound
  • After the run was flush to the existing paint I stopped
  • Then I grabbed the 3M 3000grit Trizact and cut a little square off and glued to the end of a large popsicle stick, tongue depressor size
  • Soaked it in water for a while and began sand the area with the 3000 grit to smooth everything out to prepare for 3" buffer
  • Once I was satisfied with the area smoothness I moved onto the 3" buffer with a yellow pad and used the Groit's fast correction cream
  • Then just buffed with a microfiber towel

I was very happy with how it turned out and I feel like I learned something new today so it was a great day in the shop. The rest of the afternoon I addressed a few area on top off the roof that had some dust nibs. I knocked those down with some 3M Trizact then buffed with buffer.
Attached Images

Fix and Sale 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 K2500
The "Fixrupr" build thread

72 Cheyenne 1/2 ton " FIXRUPR " - daily driver
67 C20 all original paint
71 K20 Custom 4x4 (Idaho Edition)
72 K20 GMC Super Custom 4x4
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom package 4x4 (69 K10 from the field)
69 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote