View Single Post
Old 10-08-2015, 08:18 PM   #144
picklito

Re: My caster mod (with pictures)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMERDOC View Post
I'm trying to gauge this before I hit the rack . Did you happen to print out your before and after sheet? Given input from guys who have done the mod it would seem that for every 1/4" the index is moved its worth about 1° of Caster. If your alignment was about 2.5 and 3.0 without shims before the alignment that would solidify my thinking. Not taking anything away from Rob because his track record is proven but I think we need to get away from the .75" measurement and start measuring from the end of the shaft. Anyone who has pre-mod (non-shimmed) specs could redrill their shafts to have equal caster once it hits the rack.
Could not agree more. Reading back through our "progress" I think we did not appreciate how many different places our lower cross shafts could be starting from. I'm gonna talk to my alignment shop and see if they can give me a starting caster, then mod to try to hit 7 degrees.

Also - we are mostly trying to do this by moving the shafts. Now, I'm not a good metal guy (yet... I hope) but the guys I know who are, and who do it for a living, tell me that an appropriate form of cutting/patching/welding on the LCA to move the ball joint forward is very safe IF the guy knows what he's doing. I've only seen a few of our better fabricators doing this on this forum. What do you guys think about this?
picklito is offline   Reply With Quote