Thread: Penny
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2023, 02:25 AM   #111
LT7A

Re: Penny

Good work. You and I might be the only two in the whole trucking universe that will spend a little money on a 305. I understand the rationale of building a bigger engine when it costs the same. If you already have that other bigger engine... To get the value out of a 305 one needs to understand why it's built the way it is and most people don't take the time to do that. Do you know the specs on yours? Mine is an LE9 which means that it is designated as high torque from the factory. It actually has higher compression, about 9.2. And then the ESC is there to retard the timing if it starts to ping. Kind of cool when you think about it. 305s are long stroke and narrow bore. That allows them to have the mechanical advantage to provide torque to get you up to speed with a load. But then it runs out of air because of the heads and the valves with the narrow bore. So yeah, it's not capable making a lot of power. But if you set it up right, it's a motor that can get you up to speed and keep you there, while burning a little less fuel. Have you looked into the summit cams? An 1101, or an 1102 might take great care of you and are priced well. If you don't need to rebuild that motor yet, I wouldn't. Just putting in the cam and lifters and getting back on your way should be pretty economical and quick.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote