View Single Post
Old 09-24-2023, 12:26 AM   #238
theastronaut

Re: '88 F*rd Festiva Autocross/Track/Daily Driver Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccreddell View Post
So, Ive located a 90 "L" model with only 81K on it. New tires. Owned by a little old lady and clean as a whistle. West coast car. Only kicker, is they want $5800 for it. Oh, tach dash, and no AC.
The L is the base model and they really got a lot more stingy on the L's from 90-93, but if it has a tach it might be the L Plus which are really nicely trimmed compared to the 90-93 L. Easiest way to tell is L has thin side trim, about 1.25", and in 1990 only the LX and L Plus carried over the wider trim from 88-89 that is about 3" wide. The L/L Plus/LX decals are usually all gone by now on the 90-93 models so you have to decode what trim options it has to really tell what it is. PM me a few pics and I can tell you what it is for sure.

$5800 is fairly steep, that's pretty much top of the market if its an L, but they're not getting any cheaper, and if it's L Plus 5 speed it's one of the most desirable trim levels. An extremely nice 69k '93 L 5 speed with AC sold on eBay for $7000 about 18 months ago, and I paid $5700 plus trip expenses to buy the blue '88 in my last post. A super nice '90 L Plus 5 speed with AC with around 120k miles was posted earlier this year for $3500 on the Festiva Forum which was a really good deal for the condition and trim level, and it sold pretty quickly.

You can definitely find them a lot cheaper if you keep your eyes peeled and open up your search area, but really clean ones don't pop up often since nobody really took care of entry level economy cars that were only worth $800 until the last few years. Paint and interior work to make a $1500 Festiva into a really nice Festiva will cost more than just buying one that's already nice. AC systems are super easy to swap in (the dash doesn't have to come out) and can be bought for around $300 but they don't pop up often. Mechanical parts are stupid cheap so if you find one with a really clean body and engine problems it'll be cheap to fix.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote