Thread: Johns 66
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2017, 10:27 PM   #91
rsd66C20

Re: Johns 66

Your truck/engine is looking awesome!!! Congrats on jumping into the deep end with all this. A couple of suggestions.

On the POR-15......the can will "weld" itself shut if you get the POR-15 on the edges while pouring, and put the cap back on. Try to avoid getting any POR-15 into the edges. The POR-15 goes a long way compared to regular paint.

I get a bunch of cheapy turkey basters, and transfer a smaller amount to a temporary container (soda can, plastic cup, etc)....with just the right amount that you will consume during that usage. I've also tried using saran wrap between top and the can....and it kind of works. This aids in getting the top off later, though you need to make sure it has a good seal.

Also, after you paint the engine, I'd suggest using a tap, and chasing out all of the bolt holes. It takes a little time, but makes like a lot easier in the years to come. I use a little motor oil on the taps while chasing.

A number of threads back, you mentioned the staples in the radiator siding pieces. LMC sells these replacement rubber pieces. I actually made my own staples by buying the same diameter steel wire (that comes in rolls) from the local hardware store. It was actually pretty easy, to align up the rubber pieces with the original staple holes, and "make" the staples.
rsd66C20 is offline   Reply With Quote