View Single Post
Old 07-17-2021, 07:27 PM   #5
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: 81 k20 front wheel bearing nuts and washer replace

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP7 View Post
I have the big special socket.

My temporary fix with the old style tap bend-over washer , my bearing gets loose.

Hopefully that thicker 'hole' washer and pin set up will keep my the bearings adjusted and wont loosen

Yeah, I always repack the bearings wit grease

Not sure what you are referring to here:

Repacking wheel bearings is pretty basic

They should not loosen. The whole system works very well, when done properly, but so many people screw it up.
The "feel" of tight/loose is a bit of an art, but the actual assembly of the system is very straight forward.
The feel of the tightening has a little to do with the wear over time of the nut and spindle. It the inner nut is a little loose on the spindle threads, the outer nut will push that slack out when it is tightened, then the wheel bearing fit will be too tight. The trick of turning the washer over can be quite helpful, as is having a small dentil type pick to pull it out.
All in all, the most important thing is that the pin is actually in one of the holes and the washer sits flat on the inner nut. Having the correct socket is critical. Otherwise it just never gets tightened properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote