View Single Post
Old 04-08-2023, 09:28 AM   #9
Chaparralman1974

Re: Dana 44 Closed Knuckle Axle Shaft U-Joint Part Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short 3/4 View Post
So sounds like you’ve decided to keep the closed knuckle for now? I’m guessing you’ll be very happy with it when you’re done, and if not you can always throw in that newer one later

As far as the seals on the U joints you would probably be fine either way, but yea I think leaving them on is the best way to go. That same joint will last many thousands of miles in the environmental hell of an open knuckle, so enclosed in a nice clean closed knuckle it will last many times longer. Just like every other mechanical system on our trucks, the only thing that will kill a part is too much horsepower or not enough clean lubrication.

Don’t think that you don’t have to worry about keeping the lube topped up in the knuckle though. Remember that’s the only thing lubricating the upper and lower bearings. I also love the Corn Head grease. Never could keep 90W in those things.

Tom
Hi Tom!

Yeah, the more that I pondered on it, the more that I wanted to keep the truck original. I had the drums checked out and they were ok to turn. Also the price to get new drum brakes was considerably less than a full disc brake conversion. Lastly, using the original axle I don't have the mess with regearing anything. So, for now I am going to stay with the original axle. If I decide to change later on down the road, I can alway swap in the closed knuckle. This will also allow me to to spend money on other parts of the restoration that are more important at the moment.

Clay
Build Thread: https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=841272
Chaparralman1974 is offline   Reply With Quote