View Single Post
Old 04-12-2023, 12:06 PM   #14
jeffahart

Re: Dana 44 Closed Knuckle Axle Shaft U-Joint Part Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparralman1974 View Post
I have tore the entire axle down and removed the ring and pinion. My plan is to replace all the seals, clean and paint everything. I also picked up the seal installation tool. They are cheap enough rather than trying to beat the seal into place. I am also planning on replacing both U-Joints. Fortunately, all of the bearings are in excellent condition, so I can reuse those. I am also going to swap over the Spicer big hubs to the closed knuckle axle as well. I did end up cleaning the original Hub-Loks and I will keep them around for giggles, but I think that the Spicer hubs just look cooler. :-)

Clay
Where'd you get the hubs? Those things probably cost more than my Yukons. I fried a spinde and hub on my 44 back in the 80s, so it had warrens. The 60 had standards. I'm buying new tires in the next few days when I have time. I'm moving up to 35s. Then I will think about gearing. I put a gear vendors in a couple weeks ago, did not like it and sent it back. Cost me a drive shaft, two quarts of oil and return shipping. So I may have my axles apart again if the 35s don't get me where I want to be. I didn't pull the trigger on a locker for my front when I put in the new axles either, I wanted to see what the gear vendor would do. I might just truetrac the front. Although I'm tempted to ditch the detroint locker also. The decisions never end. Fun hobby though!

j