View Single Post
Old 04-12-2023, 11:23 PM   #17
jeffahart

Re: Dana 44 Closed Knuckle Axle Shaft U-Joint Part Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short 3/4 View Post
The Detroit is definitely a love it or hate it thing. I’ve had mine for over 30 years and wouldn’t want to be without it. In fact I’ve had the same one in two different trucks. I can sure see how people would hate them though, and would never have one if I lived in snow.
When I recently went through my front end I put in a TrueTrack. Was afraid it wouldn’t be a good idea, especially since I have manual steering, but has been great both on and off road. I have TrueTracks front and rear in my other Brand X truck and that’s worked out really well. Never know they are there until you don’t get stuck!
Tom
Ya, thanks for the info. I've had the detroits in a lot of trucks, seems everytime I get an axle it has a detroit. I always swear I'm going to ditch them. The only one I've ever gotten rid of is the one in the HO52 I got rid of for this axle my current corp 14. Nobody wanted the HO52 so I stripped it down. I gave the parts away to people on this board. I sent the 4.10 gears to a guy back east, and the detroit to a guy in Sylmar Ca, with a bunch of brake parts. I gave away the front 44 4.10 ring and pinion also. Couldn't give the front 44 away either.

I built the front 60 with the installation of an ARB or OX in mind. If I'm happy with the 35s and 4.56s I'll probably put an OX in the front 60 and call it a day... and continute to threaten the detroit with a new home! Building it is the fun for me now days. I don't offroad much anymore, But I love a capable truck.

j