Thread: rack and pinion
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2021, 10:24 PM   #6
kglowacky

Re: rack and pinion

Thanks for the responses. I am in the class as old and long in the tooth and have been and still working on cars on a daily bases since the 60's. I agree I don't remember ever having a car with this kind of of driving issues but again let me say I replaced every ball joint , tie rod end , bushing gear box rag joint and so on at least once and I am here to tell you no better response. The rebuilt steering box was rebuilt twice and I feel it is good. Due to the heat and busy schedule I only get to work on my own stuff once in a while. LOL sound familiar .
Only thing left is the column itself. I have replaced the lower bushing already. I built this truck as a daily driver and love it except for this issue. I guess removing the column and finding someone capable (not easy to find anymore) of rebuilding it is the next way to spend money. I have had it aligned twice by 2 different shops and they say it lines up in the specs no problem .. Wish me luck one thing I am not is a quitter. I will keep you posted. At one point considered the LS1 PS pump is pumping at a pressure in excess of what the box can handle but everything I read says it should not be a factor.

Let me add the problem is slop in the wheel not floating or handling badly. I agree should be a easy thing to find but I am struggling.
One more detail. I am not using the original column. Not sure of the year of this column as it came with the truck in pieces but it is a OEM GM column out of a 80's PU.

Last edited by kglowacky; 07-11-2021 at 10:35 PM.
kglowacky is offline   Reply With Quote