View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 05:14 PM   #69
gerfunken

Re: Scott's 1972 Chevy K-20. A place to start.

Well, it would seem as if I have run into yet another problem. So, when I put the new doors on the cab (without the hardware) I found that the door rubbed in the back, top and bottom, and the door would not close in the sill.

Ex. 1, circling the spots that were rubbing.

Ex. 2: The obvious remediation is to drill out the spot welds on the back of the window frame, and lower down the top part of the door to get the door to fit.

Now, all of that seems easy enough, and I was able to get the door to fit in the sill, so everything was good.

Well, I started installing all of the components into the door, reverse order from how I took them out. The first thing I started with was the door latch and handle. However, when I put everything together, the door would not unlatch...

Ok, this is perplexing.... struggled with it for a little bit, until I decided to get wise and use my cell phone to take some pictures of the situation:

Ex. 3: Note that the screws have been backed out of the door latch. I found that I could get it to work (barely) when it was very loose in the door.

Ex. 4: And if you didn't see it in the picture above, you'll get a better idea with this picture.

Ex. 5: So, it looks like I get to spend my weekend cutting out the following.

I'm guessing that I'm going to have to find a way to take out about 1/4" of the lower part of the window channel, which would probably be about equal to the 1/4" that I had to lower the back part of the window to get the door to fit.

Fun

Fun

Fun

1972 Chevy K20
Picture Gallery
Build Thread

1930 Chevy AD
Picture Gallery

1929 Ford Model-A
Picture Gallery

1975 Triumph TR-6
Picture Gallery