View Single Post
Old 01-13-2017, 11:21 AM   #19
Snake72

Re: Grandpa's 72 restoration

Thanks for all the compliments. Hopefully this thread shows that even a novice can tackle rust! Having a FIL with a nice shop and fancy tools sure helps too

Keep the opinions coming on which direction to go with wheels/bumpers/etc. It will more than likely be white steelies with the chrome hubcaps and AT tires of some type to keep the "farm look". The factory paint stripe must be fairly rare, I have not seen many examples of it. If anyone has a factory stripe truck, post pics! It's also a leaf spring truck, wish it was coil, but it will remain leaf spring. So far the only changes from stock is a houndstooth seat cover, rear sport bumper instead of the ugly farm bumper, and carpet for a little more comfort. Was the rubber mat originally. And the old 350 will have a little more grunt

Jimbo, here is the original front bumper after some compound and scuff pad to clean it up. Will probably still repaint.

Here's the original grill. I hammered out a few small dents, hit it the easy off oven cleaner treatment to remove anodizing, and spent about 20 hours sanding and polishing. Came out great but very time consuming.

Also rebuild door hinges. Those old hinge pins are not fun to get out. But hinges are tight now! Should make hanging the door and setting gaps easier.

Last pic is my dads '56 Chevy bought new by his grandpa, my great grandpa. That pic was taken in the early 60's on the same farm the '72 spent its life on. The '56 is also completely original, 235 six with 3 on tree. I learned to drive a manual in this truck, even drove it to high school occasionally way back when. It needs a full resto as well. Iowa winters are not kind to vehicles.
Attached Images

Snake72 is offline   Reply With Quote