View Single Post
Old 02-19-2016, 08:47 AM   #119
ncoonen

Re: 3 speed overdrive!!, now about getting it in.......

I think you've got all the facts there. The manual switch to interrupt the OD solenoid like you've hooked up is my Plan B at the moment but it would still require you to "switch-lift-mash" in order to drop out of OD and accelerate. Doing all that by just mashing the go pedal is the slick setup I'd like to replicate while using HEI.

...ned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankslagoon View Post
First let me say I don't use the kick down circuit, but if the system is wired correctly with the proper relays and kickdown switch, the kickdown will shut off the O/D sol. and ground the primary ign. as soon as the pawl slides back it reenergizes the primary circuit and away ya go, passing gear. this happens super fast. less then 1/2 a revolution. When ya let off the throttle the solinod gets power back and ya go into O/d again. So, anyway you probably know all this and I might not be totally correct, anyway. The only thing the system does is complete the ground circuit to the neg. side of the coil. . The gov. is already grounded at hway speed so a switch that interuped that circuit would bring ya out of over drive but you would still have to let up on the throttle to release the sol. pawl. That's why I don't use the kickdown interrupt. I have a switch in the wire goin to the sol. to kick it in and out. The ground controled relay to bring ya out of O/D at 25 mph is a good idea, but the kickdown is a whole nother pain,