Thread: Rat repair.
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #138
swamp rat

Re: Rat repair.

Earlier in my build i was using Phosphorus acid to coat my axles and U bolt plates ect, It works ok, it covers the rust and turns it to a black iron oxide (i think that was the name)

2 days ago i was reading another build thread and they prepped the rusty parts with Muratic acid, the parts, cast rotors and hubs were unbelievably void of rust, so today i bought some to work on my seat tracks.

When i first opened the jug the fumes started rolling out of the jug, i knew this was some real toxic stuff and in for a nasty job ahead. I first tried to pour it in a new spray bottle, it sprayed fine but the bottle was leaking allover and i didn't buy rubber gloves, big mistake! so i washed up cause this stuff burns, then i filled an old coffee cup and used a brush, the fumes on this stuff are super strong and also toxic, the breeze was on and off so i had to hold my breath then step over to the parts then coat and back away and catch my breath.

It took about an hour to get the worst of the rust, but a lot of the surface rust melted off in about 10 minutes, not very good pictures and forgot to get before shots but these brackets were solid rust when i started. Another benifit was that it cleaned out the track so they slide super smooth now..

I have washed my hands with Dawn dish washing liquid 4 times now and the stuff is still on my fingertips, it slaked in, plus my fingers smell like rust too. Don't mess around with this stuff without being outside with lots of ventilation and heavy rubber gloves!
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote