View Single Post
Old 07-02-2016, 12:32 AM   #14
mr48chev

Re: Wichita Friends - Gas Tank Disposal???

Well the guy I saw it was about 6'6 and 250 and had shoulder length flame red hair. I asked him why he didn't use a torch (he was cutting up a 65 Corvair) and he said torches cost money to run and he didn't have money to spend.

Actually they cut pretty easy with an axe. The first car I cut up that way was a 66 Chevelle Two door hardtop that my buddy had sold the engine and trans and nose off and gave me the body and frame. I unbolted the doors and deck lid and loaded them in my 48 and cut the roof off and cut it in two and loaded it. Hauled that to M Lipsizts's in Waco the next day and cut the floor in two and pulled the back half off that night and cut it in half. Hauled that the next day and hauled the cowl the next and then cut up the frame and sold the rear end for 10.00 to a buddy building a T bucket.

I can give you the phone number of one of my now best friends who will tell you he met me when I was out in the yard cutting up a scrap car with an axe next door to where he was living at the time. At that time I had a cutting torch that had never been out of the box because I couldn't afford the bottles or pay for the gas because I wasn't making much money at the time.

As far as that gas tank goes unless you were driving the truck in the past week I doubt that you would have to worry about a spark cutting it but I would do it out in the yard away from everything else just in case.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote