View Single Post
Old 11-22-2022, 04:13 AM   #8
mr48chev

Re: Rear leaf spring swap issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX3100Guy View Post
response to questions above in BOLD so that they stand out....not yelling...lol
The two new ones are the same length each

This is what I was asking about. Making sure that they were indeed exactly matching springs.

Are you doing one side at a time and putting the tire on and putting the weight of the truck on the spring? Meaning that the left side has the weight of the truck and the right side is hanging? That would make a difference at the shackles.

That is correct, the drivers side is still on its tire, i have a jack stand under the frame on the passenger side and a bottle jack under that side of the axle. I can let the jack down or put it up to get the spring closer to the axle, but its still off from centering by several inches. Another friend suggested putting the tire back on, removing the jack stand under the frame and letting that side take more weight before securing the u-bolts.

That is going to happen on any leaf spring vehcicle that you jack one side up on one side only with the weight on the other side, the shackle is going to pull forward as you raise the vehicle. Some with the shackle that goes up and hangs the truck from the end of the spring are known to have the shackle flip when you raise the rig with the tires off the ground such as on a two post lift. I'm thinking that is somewhat common on TF trucks.

One thing that came to mind on your axle location. Normally we drill a hole 1-3/4 inches in front of the center line of the rear axle for the spring bolt to go through and center the axle in the wheel well.

If your axle seats or spring perches or ?? what ever the name of the week is for them only have the hole in the center that may be what is offsetting your axle or if you are using the hole in the center rather than the one that is drilled in front of that.
This screen shot of the classic parts add for shows the axle seats (what they call them) with the centered hole and the offset hole for 47/54 3100 AD trucks with stock measurement springs if you use the center hole your
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote