View Single Post
Old 11-21-2016, 03:48 AM   #7
SonomaComa

Re: Starter engaes, won't spin. HEI wiring..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
Assuming the new starter is good and the battery really is good, double check the main battery cables. They can corrode on the inside and look good on the outside. Do you have a second battery to use as a test? Maybe the battery test gizmo lied.

If the cables are good, make sure the engine didn't lock up. Unlikely but possible. Pull the plugs and make sure coolant doesn't come out one of the cylinders. It is possible it chose the exact time you were fixing the headlights to develop a coolant leak.
Thank you for your reply. I was toggling between 2 starters and 3 batteries. It would work at random times on any configuration of parts that were used.
When I adjusted the headlights I also replaced a short 10Ga. jumper wire from the positive battery terminal to the junction box right next to the battery on the passenger fender. I purchased that wire from Home Depot, it is thick strand wire and says it is rated to 600 volts. Every time I disconnected and re-connected the battery it would make contact for a short time. It is hard to crimp thick strand wire so I made another one and same thing would happen. I ran out of options so I decided to take the jumper wire, heat the eyelets with a torch and solder them. That was it, now it starts every time!
I thought 10 gauge was 10 gauge wire no matter what and it would all work the same.
SonomaComa is offline   Reply With Quote